My Stoop

Copy Rights for Laura

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Friday, June 24, 2011

Shaking Things Up

I write for a weekly  Blog entry, called "Blog Hop".  This week our topic theme  is "Shaking It Up."  Only one thought came to my mind for this theme.  Here it goes.

I am a single mom of two great kids that are 13 and 14 years old. Back in 2002, I served their dad divorce papers since we had a very complicated marriage.  The divorce was not final until 2004, so that time in between was quite rocky, stressful, and emotionally draining for all of us.

My two kids were toddlers at the time. I could see how tough the divorce was on them even though I felt good about how I dealt with their dad during this tough transition.

One day, it broke my heart to see my son so down and depressed. He just cried and cried and I just held him in my arms.  Then the thought came to me.  This is what happened later in the day. 

I gathered my children at the kitchen counter where we had just finished peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches.  I let them sit on top of the counter which in itself was so exciting for them.  I just "let Go and let God."  I was tired of all the seriousness, and complexity of the bitter divorce.  I would set us free.  Well, at least I hoped this would work. 

I took the peanut butter jar that was on the counter.  I held it in my hand as I told them the story of the mom that ate peanut butter off her kids toes.  I still get choked up every time I think of this story.  My kids sat wide eyed, staring at me for each syllable that I would utter next, in total amazement.  They loved this story.  They thought it was the silliest story they had ever heard.  By the way, I do have the gift of gab which helps greatly in story telling. 

Once the story was over they bombarded  me with millions of questions. I  giggled and scooped peanut butter onto my hand. I put both kids side by side and spread peanut butter on their toes. Yes, I did "Shake It Up."  I ate peanut butter off my kids tootsies.  We laughed so hard and for so long.  This little show of love has lasted all these years since.  That was the day my kids came back into their hearts.  They smiled again after that silly encounter.  We now talk about this at the dinner table at least once a month. My kids just love talking about that day on the counter top. "What a silly mom you are, you ate peanut butter off our toes."

11 comments:

  1. LOL!! That is one crazy way to shake things up!! I applaud you though, because it was memorable, it was loveable and it seems to have worked!! Good Job Mom!! :D Thanks for sharing...this put a smile on my face!! Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn,
    Thanks for the sweet comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard of someone eating peanut butter off of their toes, but I think it is absolutely precious and a great giggle inducer!! Love it!!

    Kathy
    http://www.thetruckerswife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the goofy little things that make no sense. One night, our parents came home, woke us up in the middle of the night, and took us to IHOP. That memory has stayed with me forever.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2009/07/character-suffers-after-crash.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claudia
    Thanks for popping by. I am glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy
    Yes, I just had to come up with something. It was such a lovely way to show them life would get better. Unorthodox yes......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce,
    I love that your parents did that. How fun and exciting. It is the little things that we remember.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summer Fey Foovay,
    Thanks and what does ROFL mean?
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sis, I will Never forget you telling me that story back in those difficult days of the divorce. I remember thinking how beautiful that was because you were in deep pain too but all you thought about was how to keep your kids from hurting. Your a wonderful mother Laura and I am so proud of you and the great kids your raising. <3 Linda

    ReplyDelete